What is Canine Influenza?
It's "Flu Season". Queue up and roll up, your sleeves of course. Prevention is the preferred method to stop human influenza strains from spreading. Vaccination, isolation and limited use of antivirals has kept a worldwide pandemic in check. Unfortunately for our beloved canine companions, the risk of influenza is real and threatening. We take our dogs everywhere; vets, parks, even doggy daycare, providing ample opportunities for pathogen transmission. They don't wash their hands or cover their noses.
Prior to 2015, H3N8 strains of canine influenza were circulating throughout the US, causing human-like symptoms of runny noses, fever and lethargy. Generally making our furry friends feel as miserable as we do, only without Theraflu® or Tamiflu®. Dogs can be protected annually, just like their human counterparts, by vaccination again H3N8 strains. However in 2015, similar to projected human pandemic epidemiology, a new strain appeared in Chicago - H3N2 - previously only detected in China, Thailand and other regions of Southeast Asia. How this virus made the leap from continent to continent demonstrates our ability to contain pathogens is still questionable and leads to troubling speculations. Currently there is no effect vaccine against H3N2 and veterinarians suggest isolation as the best infection spreading prevention. Unlike H3N8 strains, H3N2 is also known to infect our feline housemates in addition to dogs, so separate quarantine is wise for any suspected animal.
MyBioSource offers the following products for laboratory research on Canine Influenza:
- Influenza A Virus Nucleoprotein Monoclonal Antibody (Catalog #MBS190281)
- Recombinant Influenza A virus Neuraminidase (NA) (Catalog #MBS1005855)
- HA1 (aa 17-529) (A/Texas/50/2012)(H3N2) Recombinant Protein (Catalog #MBS434209)
- Recombinant Hemagglutinin-Influenza A Virus H3N2 Canine (Catalog #MBS145310)
- Mouse Anti Influenza-A Hemagglutinin H3N2 (Catalog #MBS140104)
- Dog Interferon-induced GTP-binding protein Mx1, MX1 ELISA Kit (Catalog #MBS9322458)